Our client is a large government organisation with a diverse and complex asset portfolio with an ambition to become a centre of excellence in asset management and planning. They are seeking an experienced cost planner to support a significant capital investment programme.
- Apply expertise to a diverse and interesting range of projects and programmes
- Shaping and influence asset solutions at an early stage
- Opportunity to build, develop and lead cost planning capability
The Senior Cost Planner will be involved in supporting the initial high-level assessment of projects and programmes being considered as part of the annual Capital Plan cycle, including cost estimates and projected cashflows to determine the optimum mix of projects and programmes within available funding envelopes.
The Senior Cost Planner will then continue to provide further cost planning support to individual projects and programmes as scopes are further developed, through to the investment case stage which seeks funding approval to move into the delivery phase. Achieving a high degree of confidence in a cost plan that reflects the required scope and contingent risk of a project or programme, prior to delivery is a key objective of this role. The Senior Cost Planner will provide an on-going advisory role to project delivery teams where needed to support successful delivery.
Developing effective approaches to cost planning to improve decision making on a Whole of Life Cost basis will be critical to delivering value. Delivering systems and processes to capture both historical cost data as well as emerging market trends will be a critical component in supporting the achievement of this.
Candidates may come from a quantity surveying or estimating background but must be able to demonstrate cost planning experience in the early stages of projects including buildings and supporting infrastructure. The Senior Cost Planner is a pivotal role to good asset management and planning. A self-starter they will be able to work effectively with technical, planning and financial experts to deliver robust and well thought through cost plans.
Candidates will need to have the following skills and attributes:
- Cost planning expertise for projects at feasibility and concept design stages
- Ability to develop consistent approaches to costing projects at different stages of development
- Understanding of scope risk and application of appropriate contingency
- Outcomes focused with a drive for continuous improvement
- Experience in a similarly large asset intensive environment would be advantageous
This role presents an exciting opportunity to develop a professional cost planning function that supports a wide range of projects delivering ambitious outcomes for New Zealand.
... ... ...