Who we are
We are the Kaitiaki / Guardians of New Zealand Superannuation. We are proud of our Te Whāinga / Our purpose: Sustainable investment delivering strong returns for all New Zealanders. We invest government contributions to the NZ Super Fund, a global investment fund helping to ensure the country can pay for the growing cost of universal superannuation (New Zealand Superannuation) in the future. We also oversee the Elevate Fund, which invests in small, fast-growing New Zealand companies.
At the Guardians there’s an energy, passion and a shared commitment to excellence: in 2022 the NZ Super Fund was named the world’s best-performing sovereign wealth fund. The work is complex, innovative and intellectually stimulating. Sustainable finance, including a commitment to being net zero carbon emissions by 2050, is core to our Mātāpono / way of working.
About the team
The Strategy and Shared Services business unit is responsible for all aspects of the finance, accounting and tax functions for the Guardians and the Funds under its mandate, as well as providing internal investment management support for in-house trading. The business unit works closely with the Risk, Technology, Data Technology, Legal, Communications and Internal Audit functions, as well as with the Investments and Portfolio Completion business units. The Strategy and Shared Services business unit holds relationships externally with auditors, Treasury, the Auditor-General, specialist advisors, New Zealand and international tax authorities, Peer Funds and the Guardians’ custodian.
The Tax team is responsible for ensuring that the worldwide tax obligations of the Guardians, the New Zealand Superannuation Fund (“the Fund”) and any other Guardians’ mandates are met, noting that the organisation has an enhanced compliance management agreement with Inland Revenue.
About the position and you
This is an exciting opportunity to join a high performing and collegial Tax team. The Guardians Tax team are at the forefront of tax thought leadership and engage widely to shape and influence tax policy. The Tax Advisor will primarily focus on ensuring compliance with worldwide tax obligations. They will also assist with driving efficiencies and improvements to the compliance processes (particularly through the application of technology), and contribute to the wider work of the Tax team including tax structuring of investments, tax due diligence, and supporting the relationship with Inland Revenue and professional advisors.
Knowledge and skills
What we offer
- At least 2 years experience working with complex tax issues, exposure to offshore jurisdictions preferred but not essential
- In-depth technical tax knowledge
- Advanced Excel skills and/or Power BI experience would be highly regarded
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Accurate and disciplined with meeting deadlines
- Enjoys working collegially at all levels
- Professionally qualified
How to apply
- A dynamic, exciting place to work with a team united by our common purpose of sustainable investment delivering strong returns for all New Zealanders.
- Competitive remuneration package including base salary, discretionary bonus programme of up to 30%, up to 8% KiwiSaver matching.
- World class professional development.
- Comprehensive leave and benefits programme including strong parental leave package and insurance cover.
- Flexible and accessible work environment that reflects our commitment to equity and an inclusive team.
We encourage and welcome applications from people with diverse experience, including applicants interested in discussing flexible work options and those with specific disability needs. As a proudly committed equal opportunity employer, we challenge discrimination and actively work to eliminate bias in our hiring practices. Diversity of experience and diversity of background help us to solve complex problems and deliver on our purpose.
We recognise the importance of Te Tiriti o Waitangi and invest in partnership with a range of Iwi/Māori organisations. We warmly welcome and value Mana Whenua who wish to work with us. We are committed to understanding Te Ao Māori and integrating it into our workplace culture, for the benefit of all future generations in Aotearoa.
... ... ...